Looking to change things up in The Forest with mods?
Mods, short for modifications and often referred to as plugins, add, remove, or modify existing functionality in the game. Adding mods to The Forest is one of the best ways to add variety to your gaming experience and extend the game’s replayability. This guide will show you how to mod The Forest for the PC version of the game.
Let’s get to modding!
Here are the steps to add mods to The Forest
Step 1: Verify game cache
A wise first step to ensure that your game is ready for modifications is to verify the game cache for The Forest. Verifying the game cache will also rectify any issues with existing mods or updates later.
To verify game files in Steam:
- Go to your Steam library, find ‘The Forest,’ and right-click it to bring up options.
- Select Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- Steam will now scan the game files to verify and detect any missing or corrupted files and download any that need to be replaced.
For large games, this process may take a while, so be prepared to wait a bit. Game file verification is also an excellent practice to follow whenever your game is not behaving correctly. This includes frequent crashes and problems starting up or connecting to servers.
Step 2: Locating mods you want to use
Once your game is in good health, you are ready to start selecting mods. To begin, head over to the ModAPI hub website. The Forest should be highlighted at the top for you, but double-check that you have the correct version of The Forest selected.
For the ‘Base Package’ section, go with the pre-selected option. The next step is to choose the mods you want to add to your game.
Click the ‘Load More’ button to see the complete list of available mods for download.
Keep reading below to see some great mod suggestions.
Step 3: Download the selected mods
After you’ve selected the mods you want to use, click the ‘Download’ button at the bottom of the screen, and a window should pop up.
Click ‘Save’ on the window and click okay. This file will appear in your downloads folder.
Once the download has finished, locate the download in the downloads folder, right-click and select ‘Extract All’ on the folder and click ‘Extract’ on the window that pops up. This folder should be a .zip file, so make sure that you have a way to extract files from .zip files before proceeding.
When the files are extracted, find the application named ‘Mod Api’ and open it.
Step 4: Activating mods
The next window will reveal some new information about the application. Click continue, and you should see your mods loaded onto the next screen on the left-hand side under a title named ‘Available Mods.’
Click the box next to the mods that you wish to activate and make sure they are checked off. Some mods have settings that you can adjust, and this is where you can highlight them and adjust things to your specific needs.
Step 5: Launch The Forest game
Once you have everything ready and set up to your liking, you simply click the ‘Start Game’ button located in the bottom right of the screen. To test or check if your mods are working, simply launch a new game or load an existing one and follow the instructions or criteria necessary for each mod according to the settings menu found in the prior step.
Keep in mind that every time the game is updated (which should be fully finished and updated at the time of writing), you may need to update or adjust your mods. To do so, repeat step one each time the game has updated.
To remove mods, repeat the first step to reset the game’s cache, where you can activate the mods again from the file you extracted earlier.
Recommended mods to try out in The Forest
The following is a list of some of the most useful or fun mods to give you the best experience while playing ‘The Forest .’There are many other mods that you can explore and test out. However, generally, it’s best to test new mods out on a new save file to ensure that you don’t lose or crash one of your other save files.
No Limits Mod
If you are looking for more freedom for crafting custom buildings, this is the mod for you. This mod will allow you to build much larger structures than the game already allows. This mod allows you to edit different values for the blueprints you can place and removes many restrictions in the building system to allow you to build structures a bit more to your liking. You can generally build any structure as tall or long as you’d like, so if you want to build your own custom village, this is the mod to have.
You can grab the mod from this link.
The Map Mod
This is single-handedly one of the most useful mods to have installed for playing ‘The Forest’ with friends. This mod allows you to see nearly every item in the game and other players in multiplayer games. If you want to get things done faster or are struggling to grab everything for 100 percent completion, this mod will make your life much easier.
You can grab the Map Mod from this link.
Flintlock Machine gun
If you really want to have some fun, this mod will turn your flintlock pistol into a weapon of mass destruction. This mod allows you to massively increase the rate of fire for the flintlock, basically turning it into an automatic weapon. If you are utilizing the Ultimate Cheatmenu, you can give yourself infinite ammo and get revenge on all of those mutants that destroyed your base until you get tired of being an unstoppable killing machine.
You can grab the Flintlock Machine Gun mod from this link.
Champions of The Forest
If you want to give the game a brand new feel, Champions of The Forest will turn your game into an RPG. Almost everything will reward you with experience points. Your player can level up and give themselves new abilities, stats, and mutations. This mod even comes with magic that you can use to hunt down your foes! This mod may clash with other mods you have implemented, so if you run into any issues with this mod, follow step one as mentioned above to reset your game cache to resolve any problems.
You can grab the Champions of The Forest from this link.
Other mods worth checking out:
- Custom Enemy Stats – This allows you to fully customize enemy health and damage values to make your game easier or harder.
- Difficulty Scaling – Similar to Custom Enemy Stats, this mod will automatically increase enemy stats each day. This mod will give you a decent challenge as you gradually become stronger.
- Hard Survival+ – Decreases the amount of animal and item spawns, giving you an even more difficult survival difficulty. This mod also increases the number of enemies that spawn.
- Destroyer of Worlds – This allows you to remove any item from the game at your discretion.
- Better Blueprints – This mod allows you to build anywhere in the game with few limitations. It will enable you to have custom blueprint colors, and you can have infinite anchor points.
- Full Inventory – Completely fills your inventory or gives you the max amount for specific items.
- Tree Respawn – This allows you to respawn trees whenever you want.
- GriefClientPro – This mod comes with all the tools you need to become the biggest troll in history. It allows you to become unkickable and unbannable from servers, lets you teleport and be invisible, kill anyone at any time you’d like with the press of a button, destroy all structures and trees at once, and it gives you immortality. Use at your own discretion!
- Anti GriefClient – This mod will auto kick anyone who has the GriefclientPro mod installed and active!
- Leopard 2A6 – This mod spawns a FULLY OPERATIONAL TANK into your game! Well, ‘fully operational’ is a bit of an overstatement; it can be pretty buggy at times, so take care when playing around with this mod.