Learn how to build and use the Fish Trap in Sons Of The Forest
Small Animal Traps are great but can be unreliable in how often they produce meat. Sure, it’s easy enough to ask Kelvin to go fishing for you, but sometimes you want a passive source of food that you don’t have to babysit. For that, the Fish Trap has you covered.
This guide will walk you through how to build and set up Fish Traps in Sons Of The Forest and offer advice on the best locations to place them.
How to build the Fish Trap
Before you pick out a location to set up your trap, make sure you have plenty of sticks nearby or in storage. Each Fish Trap will require the following materials:
- 25 Sticks
Sticks can be found on the ground just about anywhere or created by cutting down small trees and bushes.
Once you have your sticks:
- Open your survival book by pressing the
- Flip the book to the structure section by holding down the
- Click on the red trap tab at the bottom right of the book.
- Click on the Fish Trap, set down the building ghost in your desired location, and add the sticks.
Now you have your trap built and placed.
The best locations for Fish Trap placement
These traps will not function unless they are placed in water. However, these locations will make it easier to get to your traps and retrieve your catch:
While you can place these traps in deep rivers and other bodies of water, setting them in shallow water means you don’t have to fight the current or get soaked to pick up your fish.
If you build your traps in a lake or pond, ensure it is in a location shallow enough to reach easily. In the winter, lakes will freeze, and reaching any fish left in your trap may become impossible at the start of the season.
Look for Schools of Fish
While the Fish Trap will passively spawn fish over time, it can also capture fish moving through the area. A location that already has fish will produce more than an area that does not.
Pros and cons of the Fish Trap
- This trap requires water to function and must be built away from other structures.
- Fish can currently become rotten if left in the trap too long. It is unknown whether this is a bug or a feature not yet implemented, as the rotten fish still move as if alive.
- These traps will not function in the winter, even if their water is not frozen.
- Each trap can catch and hold around six fish at once, making them a very efficient food source during warm seasons.
- These traps can be constructed very quickly and cheaply.
- Enemies cannot destroy this trap.
Tips and tricks for using Fish Traps
- The trap only needs to be partially submerged in water to function, meaning it can be placed in very shallow water.
- Fish Traps can be picked up and moved to other locations similar to other small structures. Hold the
Ckey when aiming at the trap to pick it up.
- Keep an eye out for areas where you often see fish. This usually indicates a good spot to set traps.
Final thoughts on the Fish Trap
We’re lucky that Endnight Games’ has blessed us with so many options for acquiring food, but If you want to fill up your drying racks before winter sets in quickly, look no further than the Fish Trap. A couple of these traps near your favorite watering hole can save you time gathering food and give our pal Kelvin the break he deserves.