What are RHIBs, and what are they used for?
The RHIB (Rigid-Hulled Inflatable Boat) is the fastest motorized boat in-game, operating on Low Grade Fuel and supporting up to 6 players and 36 slots of storage space.
They were introduced to RUST in August 2018 as part of the Bandit Town Update as a faster, more militaristic aquatic vehicle to its Rowboat predecessor. Originally found as world-spawns along coastlines, RHIBS were made into purchasable vehicles similar to Minicopters.
They serve as a primary transportation method in RUST’s waterways and are often used to intercept the Cargoship as it sails around the map due to its speed. Secondary to this, with their increased hit points, they are also used as a device to engage other players in water-based combat.
How to Acquire a RHIB in RUST
The RHIB can be purchased for 300 Scrap at the Boat Vendor inside the Small or Large Fishing Village monument. Each one will have 50 Low Grade Fuel upon spawning in, so if you have a long distance to get back to base or want to chase down and board the Cargoship, be sure to bring extra fuel with you.
Of the four watercraft that can be purchased, RHIBs are the fastest, least fuel-efficient model for getting from point A to point B, capable of carrying the most passengers and loot at one time.
The RHIB can hold six players: a skipper’s position in charge of directionality and fuel storage, four center passengers flanking the skipper, and the bow passenger at the nose of the ship, with a small onboard stash beneath him, with 36 item slots available.
While sitting on the boat, the passengers will have full control over their hotbar functions, including the ability to swing, eat, med, or shoot. The skipper will be limited to maneuvering and accessing the onboard fuel storage while the vehicle is in motion.
Although they use Low Grade Fuel to operate, a player can push the vessel when it is beached, floating, or stuck. Be warned, when pushing any vehicle, you will quickly exhaust a considerable amount of calories. Bring extra food if you plan on pushing it for whatever reason.
RHIBs also spawn on the back of the Cargoship Event as a means of escaping when loot is collected. While not set as default anymore, spawn rates for this vehicle type may be adjusted by server admins with commands that will follow later in this guide.
Alternatively, you can acquire one of these boats by “borrowing” one from any water-front property that might have neglected to put it behind a door. The RHIB has no locking feature, so carefully guard your new acquisition.
Anatomy of a RHIB
Like any other vehicle type, there are specific names for the individual pieces that make up a whole vehicle. While some of these aren’t absolutely pertinent to the game or operation of the RHIB, they might be referenced at some point in this guide.
- Bow – the front-most portion of the boat
- Center Thwart – middle double-seat area of the boat
- Fuel Tank – deposit slot for fuel storage
- Glass Shield – window in front of skipper’s wheel offering minimal protection from bugs and bullets
- Port – left side of the boat
- Starboard – right side of the boat
- Stash – onboard bag located at the front of the boat
- Stern – rear seat area closest to the motor, used by the skipper to pilot the vehicle from
- Tail Motor – hand motor used to simulate real-world stabilizing and directional mechanism
RHIB Fuel System
The RUST RHIB can hold up to 500 Low Grade Fuel on a standard Vanilla server. It will consume 1 Low Grade Fuel every 5 seconds, allowing you to stay at a constant full speed in the water for a little over 41 minutes on a full tank. Contrary to popular belief, it does not use fuel when the engine is on but not moving.
It can be refueled both while stationary and while moving. Be careful; other players can open the fuel tank and steal its contents if an active skipper isn’t seated. They can also hop into the front passenger’s seat if it’s empty and loot the onboard storage, so be mindful of those around you both above and below water.
- Have the appropriate Low Grade Fuel in your inventory.
- Position yourself at the boat’s steering wheel, located just above a red fuel tank.
- Look straight down.
- Press E on the fuel tank to open the Fuel Storage screen.
- Insert the Low Grade Fuel into the Fuel Storage slot.
- You’re now refueled.
RHIB Control System
The RHIB is the first introduced step up from a standard Rowboat. While it functions the same with regards to controls, players will find that its ability to make sharp turns is a little more involved and less responsive, but that it makes up for lack of maneuverability and clunkiness with additional speed.
- In the Skippers seat, look at the fueled engine and press E to Start Engine
- Hold W to accelerate forward
- Hold A to bear left
- Hold S to bear right
- Hold D to go in reverse
- In the Skippers seat, look at the fueled engine and press E to Stop Engine
- Hold Left Alt + Mouse to look around
- SPACEBAR to leave the vehicle
- X to swap seats
RHIB Repair, Decay & Durability Systems
The RHIB can be repaired while actively wielding a Hammer and having Metal Fragments in your inventory. Each repair swing will repair up to 54 damage. Any passenger can repair the boat while moving. If it was damaged at any point, it can be repaired 30 seconds after it last took damage.
The RHIB spawns with a total of 500 health and decays at various rates depending on its situation.
- If left outside, it will slowly decay over 180 minutes while outside, with a 45 delay from when they are purchased or spawned before this 180-minute window begins.
- If left in deep water, full decay will occur after 120 minutes.
- If sheltered (roof overhead), it will last indefinitely or until the base is raided and the roof is long since destroyed.
Housing a boat is quite practical, being a common retrofit for most shoreside base designs or as its own entity further from the main base. More on this in the storage considerations later in the guide.
Durability Damage Chart
The RUST RHIB has 500 Hit Points; all calculations were based on this number. While fire-based ballistics are included, their damage is impact-based only, as this vehicle is immune to fire damage over time. All calculations used an LR-300 Assault Rifle, MP5A4, or Pump Shotgun for the assorted ammo types at point-blank range, where applicable.
|Ammunition / Tool||Damage Done Per||Total Required to Destroy|
|5.56 Rifle Ammo||0.4||100|
|Incendiary 5.56 Rifle Ammo||0.6||63|
|Explosive 5.56 Rifle Ammo||3.9||45|
|Incendiary Pistol Ammo||0.6||67|
|12 Gauge Buckshot||2.1||20|
|12 Gauge Slug||0.8||0.56|
|40MM HE Grenade||25||7|
|Timed Explosive Charge||500+||1|
RHIBs are highly sought after by other RUST players as one of the best transportation methods in the game. While they do not boast an overwhelming cost, it’s still a considerable investment to protect.
Storing it is essential because it allows you to:
- Protection From Theft — With no locking mechanism available, storing your RHIB in an adequately designed garage will decrease the chance of theft.
- Security — Leaving your water vehicles in the elements has numerous risks, such as drift, decay, and theft, but when players can see the vehicle, they can destroy it.
- Preservation of Resources — The RHIB has an upfront Scrap cost, but it can also hold additional loot and fuel, and losing this could be costly.
- Extend its Lifespan and Avoid Decay — Like all other vehicles, it can decay unless properly stored away. Extending its lifespan will increase your investment value over time.
- Quick Access —Having your RHIB stored in a reliable, accessible location allows you access when needed, making your next raid, exploration, or Cargoship intercept possible.
- Strategic Advantage — Having this vehicle stored away safely gives you a strategic advantage to use this vehicle to surprise your enemies during a raid or allow you to evade them all together with your most precious loot in tow.
Ultimately, it boils down to the difference between the haves and have-nots and the opportunities it may afford you. We’ve assembled a universal boat base design for you to use that works well as an aquatic garage to access and safely protect your RHIB, Rowboat, and Solo and Duo Submarines.
Frequently Asked Questions
When destroyed, all fuel is lost in the destruction. This is true, both of impact destruction and simple decay. However, loot stored in the front of the boat should appear as a lootable floating box.
No, it just turns dark brown and then sinks through the world.
No, there is no light mounted on the vehicle. Passengers, of course, could use their flashlights at will.
RHIB Admin Commands & Convars
|rhib.rhibpopulation||0||How many RHIBs per KM spawn on map|
|spawn rhib||Admin command to spawn a RHIB|
As a highly valuable and sought-after asset in the RUST, understanding the RHIB’s systems and purpose is crucial for players looking to utilize it effectively. Its exceptional speed, capacity, and utility make it an integral part of players’ strategies and adventures for transportation and combat on the high seas.
As players further push the envelope of game progression methods, game mechanic exploitations, and game admin patience, you can be sure that Corrosion Hour will be right here detailing all the tools they will use for these ends.
Be sure to check out our Discord for all of our most recent updates, and be good to each other, always.