The Lantern is a stationary light source in RUST that operates on Low Grade Fuel. It is player-craftable and deployable. It does not rely on the electrical system to work. Alternatively, they are also used to decorate an area. They can be placed on the ground, floors, and on other flat-surfaced deployables, such as boxes, tables, shelves, and more.
Lanterns, which can hold up to 500 Low Grade Fuel, require it to operate. When the Lantern is turned on, it will emit a soft orange, semi-flickering glow to the surrounding area. They can burn for just over 83 hours if filled and left on.
Interestingly, players not authorized by the local Tool Cupboard cannot turn Lanterns on or off nor access their fuel.
One advantage of Lanterns is that they are less likely to bleed light through base walls, unlike the much brighter Camp Fire. From a disadvantage point of view, they don’t provide a heat source or comfort and cannot be used to cook or refine materials.
Lastly, Lanterns are one of the game’s craftable items available as a default blueprint to all players.
How to craft a Lantern in RUST
To craft a Lantern in RUST, you must:
- Gather the necessary crafting materials, which are 15 Low Grade Fuel and 25 Metal Fragments.
- Verify the crafting materials are in your inventory.
- Press the
Qkey to open the crafting screen.
- Now, type “Lantern” in the search bar and click on the Lantern icon.
- Then, in the lower right-hand corner, press the
- Wait for 20 seconds, and you’ll have crafted a Lantern.
Once the Lantern has finished crafting, it will appear inside your inventory, ready for use.
How to use a Lantern in RUST
To use a Lantern in RUST, you must:
- Add a Lantern to your hotbar.
- Next, activate the placement preview by selecting the hotbar slot with the Lantern.
- Using the placement preview, locate a flat surface to deploy the Lantern and press the
Left Mousebutton to place it.
- Once deployed, move close enough to the Lantern and press and hold the
Ekey until the radial menu displays.
- Select “Open” to open the fuel container and add Low Grade Fuel.
- Select “Light Lantern” to turn the Lantern on.
Once the Lantern is deployed and has fuel inside it, you can walk up to it and quick-press the
E key to turn it on and off.
How to pick up a Lantern in RUST
To pick up a Lantern in RUST, you must:
- If the Lantern is within range of a Tool Cupboard, you must first get authorization.
- Otherwise, add a Hammer to your hotbar and select it so it’s active.
- Navigate to the Lantern you wish to pick up.
- Place your mouse cursor over the Lantern and hold down the
- Wait for the pick-up animation to complete.
Once the animation has been completed, you will now have the Lantern in your inventory.
How to spawn a Lantern in RUST
To spawn a Lantern in RUST, you must:
- Connect to a RUST server where you have the admin or moderator role.
- Once in the game, place your cursor where you wish to spawn the Lantern.
- Press F1 to open the in-game console.
- Type into the console the following:
- Then press enter.
The Lantern will have spawned into the game based on your mouse cursor’s location. The console will echo back a success message that looks something like this: spawned lantern.deployed[#] at (#, #, #).