The Hatchet is a gathering tool in Rust used by players to harvest wood from trees or logs. Players may unlock the blueprint at a workbench level 1 or find the item as loot. It requires no fuel to operate but takes consistent durability loss while being used to hit trees or any other entity.
Unlike Chainsaws, the Hatchet requires players to strike trees manually to bring them down.
There’s a chance of finding Hatchets in almost every type of crate or as loot from most scientists. However, if you have 40 Scrap, you can purchase one from the Outpost monument.
Players can use a Hatchet as a melee weapon when needed, like when a player sneaks up behind you while farming or a wolf jumps out of nowhere to say hey! Hatchets can even be useful for use as a soft-side raiding tool.
There are several steps you can take to improve your Hatchet-wielding gameplay when farming. When preparing to farm for wood, consider drinking a wood-gathering tea of any strength and bring along your Hatchet for extra yield. Doing this just once with a Pure Wood Tea will likely net you enough wood to last until the end of the wipe.
How to craft a Hatchet in RUST
You must have first unlocked the Hatchet on the tech tree or memorized it as a blueprint. Once either condition is met, follow these steps to craft a Hatchet:
- Gather the necessary crafting materials, which are 75 Metal Fragments and 100 Wood.
- Verify the crafting materials are in your inventory.
- Standing next to a Level 1 Workbench, press Q to open the crafting screen.
- Now, type “Hatchet” in the search bar and click on the Hatchet icon.
- Then, in the lower right-hand corner, press the
- Wait for 30 seconds, and you’ll have crafted a Hatchet.
Once the Hatchet has finished crafting, it will appear inside your inventory, ready for use.
How to use a Hatchet in RUST
To use a Hatchet in RUST, you must:
- Add the Hatchet to any hotbar slot.
- Click on the hotbar location to activate the slot.
- Next, locate a tree, fallen log, or pile of driftwood.
- Standing next to the wood source, press and hold your
Left Mousebutton so you strike the target.
- Each successful strike will automatically collect, insert, and stack the Wood into your inventory.
It’s important to note that when a Hatchet is used to strike a resource, it will deplete the resource, as well as the Hatchet’s durability.
How to spawn a Hatchet in RUST
To spawn a Hatchet in RUST, you must:
- Connect to a RUST server where you have the admin or moderator role.
- Once in the game, place your cursor where you wish to spawn the Hatchet.
- Press F1 to open the in-game console.
- Type into the console the following:
- Then press enter.
The Hatchet will have spawned into the game based on your mouse cursor’s location. The console will echo back a success message that looks something like this: spawned hatchet[#] at (#, #, #).