Finding Guns in RUST — a Priority for All Players
RUST players spawn into the world with a rock, a torch, and their knowledge of the game. They are immediately up against uneven odds, and they have steep challenges ahead of them, including but not limited to other players holding a significant advantage: Establishment. So, for new spawns and players raided into oblivion, finding guns in RUST is the top priority to help tip the scales in their favor.
Guns are essential for survival since they provide a sense of security and power. Found in different lootable crates, on scientists’ corpses, and crafted at workbenches, there are many factors to consider when hunting for guns in RUST, such as:
- Aim Cone
- Magazine Size
- Reload Time
- Spray Patterns
All of these factors play a massive role in choosing your preferred gun. Different guns in RUST deal varying amounts of damage to your opponents, depending on your target’s range, armor type, and the ammo used.
Here are 11 different ways to find guns in RUST
- Look for and loot basic crates found alongside roadside junkpiles and inside smaller monuments, such as the Supermarket, Gas Station, and Mining Outpost monuments. These crates have a chance to have waterpipe shotguns, double barrels, revolvers, and semi-automatic rifles.
- Using the in-game map, locate time-locked crate icons at monuments. Chinook helicopters periodically drop a crate at one of the following monuments: Airfield, Trainyard, Water Treatment Plant, and Junk-yard. This crate has the chance to contain mid-to-high-tier weapons, such as the SMG, Thompson, Assault Rifle, and more.
- The Large Oil Rig and Small Oil Rig monuments each have their own Chinook event triggered by a time-locked crate, located on the top level behind a red-keycard door. These crates can contain mid-to-high-tier weapons as well.
- Take the cargo ship. There are three time-locked crates located throughout the vessel. These crates contain mid-to-high-tier weapons.
- Craft guns once the blueprint is known. Crafting the desired weapon is usually the quickest and easiest way to acquire firearms in RUST. It requires a proper workbench tier, blueprint, and necessary resources. Keep in mind that you cannot craft military standard guns beyond the MP5A.
- Every 2 to 3 hours, a cargo plane flies across the map and drops an individual supply container. This airdrop is sought after by players, as they often contain a wide range of weapons. Unfortunately, the quality range is quite broad, reaching from the simple spear to the devastating LR-300 Assault rifle.
- Explore large monuments, such as the Launch Site and Military Tunnels, which feature high-end weapons such as the L96 rifle or M92 military pistol. Each monument has a keycard puzzle, for which we recommend that you watch our keycard and puzzles guide to learn how to get through them quickly.
- Purchase guns directly from the Bandit Camp for scrap. While 500 scrap for an LR-300 or 400 scrap for an M39 may seem expensive, these are the most certain places to find these high-tier weapons.
- Raiding player bases is an especially good strategy to gain the upper hand, especially if you have an excellent raid target. If you’re lucky or skilled, you might even find a few guns for next to no resources or time spent at all.
- Fight the patrol helicopter. You will want a lot of ammunition and a defensive structure for this encounter. After taking it down, you must wait for the fires to fade and cool down before claiming the loot crates.
- Fight the Bradley APC. You will want to bring explosives or high-velocity rockets for this fight. Like the patrol helicopter, the resulting loot crates will be on fire and require a cool-down period. During this time, other players will likely challenge you for the prime haul.
Wrapping it up
Regardless of the method, you now have the knowledge needed to find guns in RUST. Depending on your current assets, you should be able to pick the best plan for the moment. Not all guns in RUST are equivalent. Each serves a specific purpose, so choose wisely, and good luck!