Learn how to craft and use the Steel Spear
A spear might not be the first weapon that comes to mind when thinking of fighting zombies. But in 7 Days to Die, the Steel Spear is a top-notch melee weapon capable of punching holes in armor and keeping enemies at bay. This particular weapon utilizes a heavy blade backed with spikes on the end of a sturdy shaft.
This guide will walk you through crafting a Steel Spear in 7 Days to Die and offer advice on how to utilize it best.
How to craft a Steel Spear in 7 Days to Die
Forging this vicious medieval wonder will require some sturdy metal and serious skills. You’ll need to reach the final tier in the Spears crafting skill and have a functional Workbench before you can successfully assemble this weapon. The amount of crafting materials required will depend on the quality of the spear being constructed:
|Materials||Quality 1||Quality 2||Quality 3||Quality 4||Quality 5|
|Steel Spear Parts||1||2||3||4||5|
|Spears Crafting Skill||39||48||57||66||75|
- Steel Spear Parts can be found by scrapping other steel spears, searching weapon chests and gun safes, or may be purchased from traders.
- Forged Steel can be crafted at a Forge or salvaged from advanced devices like vending machines and street lamps.
- Wood can be harvested from trees and shrubs or reclaimed from wooden structures.
- Leather may be obtained by salvaging furniture and vehicles or harvested from animal carcasses.
- Duct Tape may be crafted by combining Glue and Cloth Fragments or scavenged from household or parts containers.
- The Spears crafting skill can only be improved by finding and reading issues of the Sharp Sticks skill magazine.
Steel Spear Overview
Steel Spear Stats by Quality
|Property||Quality 1||Quality 2||Quality 3||Quality 4||Quality 5||Quality 6|
|Power Attack Damage||66.3||69.9||73.5||74.7||78.5||82.1|
|Attacks / Minute||55||55||55||55||55||55|
The Steel Spear accepts the following mods. Note that only one mod of any category may be attached at a time except accessory mods.
- Blade: Tempered Blade, Serrated Blade
- Accessory: Structural Brace, Wood Splitter, Bunker Buster, Grave Digger, Iron Breaker, Weighted Head, Diamond Tip Blade, Burning Shaft
- Tech: The Hunter, Rad Remover
- Grip: Fortifying Grip, Ergonomic Grip
Tips and tricks for using the Steel Spear
As a member of the Spears weapon class, the Steel Spear scales in power with the player’s Perception attribute and the Spear Master perk. The attack speed of this weapon can also be increased by investing in the Quick and Perceptive perk.
The Steel Spear is a solid all-around weapon with the longest-reaching melee attack in the game. This extended reach allows players to attack without getting hit in retaliation and to hit targets more than a meter away. Because of this reach, players wielding a spear can easily attack enemies through fractured doors, broken windows, and other small spaces.
Striking an armored enemy with this weapon will cut the value of their current armor in half. This effect can destroy helmets, punch through body armor, and even deal extra damage to vehicles.
Power attacks with this weapon can inflict a potent slow debuff on the targeted enemy. For players specializing in ranged combat, this allows for easy retreat. For players preferring melee, this allows them to keep their target at a safe distance.
The thrusting attack of the Steel Spear makes it more necessary to aim than other melee weapons. However, it also makes it easier to score headshots and to avoid glancing off an armored helmet by aiming for an enemy’s face.
Final thoughts on the Steel Spear
At the end of the day, The Fun Pimps designed the goal of 7D2D to be survival. One of the fastest ways to die is to get cornered and ripped apart by a crowd of hungry zombies. With this weapon, however, you can keep your enemies at a safe distance and skewer them even through a solid suit of ballistic armor.